So, CMJ is next week. We’re not playing this year, and without some other source of a badge (“hi, I blog at a site that has a readership of, um, me”), I won’t hit all that many shows. But going through the schedule, here are a few that look promising, in no particular order:
(There are only a few names I recognize on the Tuesday schedule and even fewer that I’ve heard. This may be the night to just pick a venue at random):
- Medeski Martin and Wood (Hammerstein, 9:00)
- Golem (Mo Pitkins, 10:00)
- The Eames Era (Knitting Factory Tap Bar, 9:30)
- The Mugs (Magnetic Field, 9:00)
- Tigers and Monkeys (Fontanas, midnight)
- Man In Gray, The Unsacred Hearts, The Octagon, Kickstart, Dracula Zombie USA (Knitting Factory Old Office)
A rare entire lineup that is NYC-centric (since it is the showcase for local label Serious Business)
- Laura Cantrell, Steve Earle and Allison Moorer (Southpaw)
For the alt-country set
- Other Passengers, The Gritty Midi Gang (Union Pool)
Other Passengers are loud. Very loud. In a good way.
- Dr. Dog, Cold War Kids, Tapes n’ Tapes (The Bowery Ballroom)
It’s the blog-buzz show of the night. None of these bands are super-amazing, but they are what’s hot with the kids these days. It’s sold out, so does that mean that CMJ resurrected the bands the blogs killed?
- John Medeski meets Kid Koala (Merkin Hall)
This could be all kinds of awesome, or all kinds of awful– no middle ground
- The Wrens, The Walkmen (NYU)
- Charles Bissell (The Slipper Room)
This is scheduled for the same time as The Wrens show at NYU? How is that possible?
- Goes Cube (The Delancey, 11:00)
None of their songs have titles. All are simply “Goes Cube Song #X.” Playing songs by the number would confuse the crap out of me. Fortunately, they’ve saved the creativity for the music.
- Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin (Europa)
I have no idea if they are any good, but they have the best band name ever
- Bling Kong (Fontanas, 11:30)
- Nicole Atkins and the Sea (Mercury Lounge, 8:00)
- Jonny Lives! (Crash Mansion, 10:00)
- Proton Proton (Trash, 8:00)
- The Decemberists (Hammerstein Ballroom)
- Longwave, Albert Hammond, Jr., Tokyo Police Club (Mercury Lounge)
- Thunderbirds Are Now! (Pianos, midnight)
- The Teeth (The Delancey, 11:30)
- George Clinton & the 420 Funk Mob (Crash Mansion, 11:30)
Yes, THE George Clinton
- Goat Explosion (Fontanas, 9:00)
Formerly Elkland. No idea if they’re any good, but it’s the best band name that doesn’t reference Boris Yeltsin
- The Mooney Suzuki, The Dansettes (Rebel)
- Earl Greyhound (The Delancey, midnight)
- Logjam (Pussycat Lounge, 10:00)
- The Head Set (Trash, 8:00)
This doesn’t include any concurrent non-CMJ shows. Is there anything I’ve missed?