I’ve been alerted that if I don’t post one of these before the end of the year, the music blogger community will shun me. Even more.
Eh, what the heck. Here are 7:
- Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
They’re not as good as the hype would make them out to be, but this album is still excellent. And it’s their debut album?
- The Bamboo Kids – Feel Like Hell
Is this a cheat? Most of these songs were released on “This Ain’t No Revolution” in Europe last year. Whatever. It’s still a lot of fun.
- The Decemberists – The Crane Wife
Prog-rock sea shanties. Put that way, it sounds really unappealing, but it’s actually all kinds of awesome
- Gnarls Barkley – St. Elsewhere
“Crazy” is this year’s “Hey Ya!” How can you not like it?
- Earl Greyhound – Soft Targets
Have I mentioned how Earl Greyhound is all kinds of awesome?
- The Hold Steady – Boys and Girls in America
They don’t sound alike, but thematically, this is the cool uncle to the Arctic Monkeys album
- The Raconteurs – Broken Boy Soldiers
Straight-up straight-forward fun
And the “It was released last year, but I didn’t get it and listen obsessively until this year” album of the year is Devin Davis – Lonely People of the World, Unite!
Elsewhere; 2006 Music Bloggregate